Monday, September 20, 2010

Soccer Delila Style -or- The Deal

Last winter, all Delila could talk about was, "when I have MY t-ball...", and, "when I have MY soccer...".  T-ball went fine, and Lila did quite well.  Soccer...well, it's a bit of a different story.  When we were putting the team together, she was very excited about it, but now that the season's actually begun...well, she's singing a different tune.  In spite of the pink shoe laces...

  
and the well-coordinated, hoochy practice attire, our sporty little lady has put up all kinds of resistance to actually playing the game.  Practices have been an exercise in public child abuse avoidance for me.  Exasperation doesn't even begin to sum it up.  Game day was not much different.  Her game was at 9:00.  Her insistence that she wasn't playing began around 7:30.  And, for the first time in my parenting experience, I resorted to outright bribery to get her to play.  "Delila, if you stop screaming, put on these clothes, go out an play without tears & tantrums, I will...."  ~sigh~  It doesn't make me proud, but, with a few gentle reminders, our Deal did the trick.

She was all pregame smiles for Daddy...
 
 ...and tickled pink with the tastefully understated game day hair accessory provided by Ms. Lisa.
 
In spite of it all, she was still a little trepidatious about going out on the field.  (When I asked her why, she said she was afraid she wouldn't be any good.  Ahhh...our little perfectionist.  Wonder where she gets that from.)

One more reminder of our Deal and she was ready to take the field...
 
...and ready to score some goals!
 
Unfortunately for Delila, so was Calder - who's a little bigger, a little faster, and a little more competitive.
 
Our poor little Ladybug ended the game with a broken heart. (A game which we won 4 - 2, according to Big Brother, Jake)

The tears quickly subsided once the Deal was honored:  a "Hannah M'Tana" CD to call her very own.  It made her very happy, and crowned me "The best Mommy in the whole world"...for about 15 minutes.  Totally worth it! Next week's game's at 10:00.  I'm hoping it'll go a little better.  I'm hoping I wont have to make any more deals and that Delila scores a goal.  Keep your fingers crossed...for both of us.

1 comment:

The Lenzers said...

I get it, totally get it. We are in soccer mode now too. I make those kind of deals all the time. How come the glory of "best mom ever" doesn't last? Where did you find soccer shorts to fit? I can't find any for connor that don't just swallow him. My how D has grown and come into her own. I thought I had my hands full with 3 boys, that 1 girl of yours is gonna be T.R.O.U.B.L.E.